When Oral Surgery Is the Best Dental Decision
So many people require oral surgery that it has become the most common surgical procedure in the U.S. today. Discover the many ways that oral surgeons can help you.
When It’s Time to Be Treated by Oral Surgeons
In general, a dentist in East Detroit is sufficient for most simple dental procedures. But when your simple needs become serious, you may require the surgical solutions only offered through oral surgery. When this happens, your dentist in East Detroit will refer you to any oral surgeons in your area who can treat your specific needs.
Cases and Causes for Oral Surgery
Your dentist in East Detroit will refer you to oral surgeons for several different reasons. Because some of these procedures can be costly, many oral surgeons today offer financing options and payment plans to make oral surgery a more affordable dental care treatment for you. Oral surgery is usually required if you experience any of these issues:
- Impacted wisdom teeth
- Complications from simple tooth extractions
- Badly worn or decayed teeth
- Removing teeth with long-curved roots
- Taking out teeth surrounded by very dense bone
- Serious damage to face or jaw due to trauma, injury, or accident
How to Heal after Oral Surgery
Once your procedure is over, you will be given specific instructions for the recovery period and follow-up care. It’s important to closely follow these directions to help you heal properly. Some general guidelines for recovering from oral surgery include:
- Not brushing or rinsing your teeth for 12 hours after surgery, and then staying away from the surgical area once you’re able to brush again
- Avoiding too much talking, eating, and drinking for two hours after the procedure
- Easing back into eating by choosing very soft foods and clear liquids for 24 hours after surgery
- Drinking plenty of cold or lukewarm liquids once any bleeding stops
- Following your oral surgeon’s instructions for all prescribed pain medication
- Calling your oral surgeons or dentist if you have ongoing pain or bleeding
To learn about our family dentistry practice in East Detroit, call Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue today at (313) 925-3090 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in East Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue.