Don’t Let Stained Teeth be a Black Mark on Your Smile
According to dentists, many of their patients complain of stained teeth and feel that it spoils their smile. If you’ve noticed signs of stains or simply want to prevent the problem, follow these helpful hints.
The Truth about Tooth Discoloration
Have you worried and wondered about why your teeth are looking dull and dark? Well, millions of people face the discoloration of teeth for many different reasons. But most cases of stained teeth result from the following causes:
- Dark foods, such as blueberries, blackberries, cherries, beets, and tomato sauce
- Darker beverages like cola, red wine, coffee, and tea
- Trauma to a tooth
- Age naturally darkens teeth by causing tooth enamel to thin, which reveals the darker layer of the tooth
Stop Stained Teeth before they Start
Tooth discoloration happens to many, but it doesn’t have to spoil your smile. Here are some simple ways to keep your teeth white and bright:
- Maintain good dental hygiene at home with daily brushing, flossing, and rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash.
- Brush your teeth after every meal.
- Rinse your mouth with water after enjoying darker drinks.
- Have professional cleanings twice a year to remove any signs of stains.
- Get any needed dental treatments done as quickly as possible to avoid internal damage that can cause the discoloration of teeth.
Deal with the Discoloration of Teeth
If your teeth are already stained, you can make them look better and brighter with tooth whitening treatments. There are many different treatments, depending on your stains and needs, so ask your dentist to recommend the best tactic for you. These are the most popular ways to combat tooth discoloration and whiten your smile:
- Professional, in-office tooth whitening, which is done by a dentist and delivers the most dramatic and fastest results.
- Veneers or crowns can cover up darker or permanent stains that are resistant to the bleach.
- At-home whitening kits from your dentist can remove most stains, but they require more time than in-office treatments.
- Over-the-counter, at-home whitening products are weaker than professional treatments, so they don’t whiten teeth as much or as quickly.
- Whitening toothpastes can remove some light stains, but won’t make a dramatic difference in the color of your smile.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in East Detroit, call Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue today at (313) 925-3090 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in East Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue.