A Crash Course in Dental Emergency Preparedness
If you’ve ever had a tooth break suddenly, you probably already know how painful and confusing a dental emergency can be. It’s always best to call an emergency dentist when severe pain, bleeding, or other symptoms arise, but it’s also essential to know how to handle the situation until you can get help. The following tips will help prepare you for the dental care required in almost any common dental emergency.
- If your tooth is knocked out completely, hold it by the crown, and cleanse the root under running water. Don’t scrub the tooth or disturb any attached tissue. If you can’t place the tooth back into its socket, store it in milk. Visit your dentist in East Detroit immediately, and be sure to bring the tooth.
- For broken teeth, rinse your mouth with water and see your dentist immediately.
- If you bite your tongue or lip, and there is heavy or continued bleeding, seek treatment from an emergency dentist or your local emergency room.
- For toothache pain, rinse your mouth with water, and try to remove any trapped food particles with dental floss. Visit a dentist in East Detroit as soon as possible. Don’t place aspirin on the tooth or the gums around it.
- If wires from your braces break or become irritating, cover the end of the wire with cotton and beeswax, or wrap it with gauze until you can see your dentist. If a wire becomes lodged in soft tissues like your gums or your tongue, seek medical help immediately.
- Jaw injuries can be serious. If you suspect a fracture or break, go to a hospital emergency room immediately. You may use ice or a cold compress to reduce swelling.
Finding an Affordable Dentist Away from Home
A dental emergency can be inconvenient and expensive, especially if you’re traveling. Fortunately, there are several ways to find an affordable dentist. Check the Yellow Pages, contact the state dental society, perform an online search, or ask for a referral from the hospital emergency room. If you are outside of the U.S., contact the U.S. embassy for information about dental care practitioners.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in East Detroit, call Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue today at (313) 925-3090 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in East Detroit. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental at Gratiot Avenue.